PyViz Tutorial ¶
This tutorial will take you through all of the steps involved in exploring data of many different types and sizes, building simple and complex figures, working with billions of data points, adding interactive behavior, widgets and controls, and deploying full dashboards and applications.
Sections 0-13 of this tutorial have been given as a 1-day course led by trained instructors. For self-paced usage, you should expect this material to take between 1 and 3 days if you do all of it. But sections 0, 1, 2, 3, and 4 contain the most crucial and basic introductory material, and going through those should take a couple of hours of study. All later sections can be studied as needed or skipped if not relevant.
Once you've done section 0 Setup , you can choose between the default introductory section 01 Workflow Introduction , or A2 Dashboard Workflow if you are mainly interested in dashboards and want to get right into making widgets.
These libraries have been carefully designed to work together to address a very wide range of data-analysis and visualization tasks, making it simple to discover, understand, and communicate the important properties of your data.
This notebook serves as the homepage of the tutorial, including a table of contents listing each tutorial section.
Index and Schedule ¶
Making data visualizable
Datasets and collections of data
- 30 min 4 - Working with Tabular Data : Exploring tabular/columnar data.
- 10 min 5 - Working with Gridded Data : Exploring a gridded (n-dimensional) dataset.
- 20 min Exercise 2
- 20 min 6 - Network Graphs : Exploring network graph data.
- 20 min 7 - Geographic Data : Plotting data in geographic coordinates.
- 20 min Exercise 3
- 25 min 8 - Custom Interactivity : Using HoloViews "streams" to add interactivity to your visualizations.
- 15 min 9 - Operations and Pipelines : Dynamically transforming your data as needed
- 20 min 10 - Working with Large Datasets : Using datasets too large to feed directly to your browser.
- 30 min 11 - Streaming Data : Live plots of dynamically updated data sources.
- 20 min Exercise 4
Apps and dashboards
- 15 min 12 - Parameters and Widgets : Declarative custom controls
- 30 min 13 - Deploying Bokeh Apps : Deploying your visualizations using Bokeh server.
- 20 min A1 - Exploration with Containers : Containers that let you explore complex datasets.
- 30 min A2 - Dashboard Workflow : PyViz intro for people focusing on dashboards.
- 15 min Exercise 5
Related links ¶
You will find extensive support material on the websites for each package. You may find these links particularly useful during the tutorial: